Rock5's MySettings scripts

Runes of Magic/Radiant Arcana (http://www.runesofmagic.com)
rock5

Rock5's MySettings scripts

#1 Post by rock5 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:36 am

I'm working on some scripts that will automate changing the client settings before starting the client. I've got most of it done and am just wondering how much people would be interested in it. I'll also consider any suggestions.

The main purpose if this is to allow the login userfunction and LoginNextChar restart options the ability to start the client on the correct region. So you could theoretically run clients on multiple regions from the same installation at the same time, which you couldn't do before, well.. not while using the restart options anyway.

Instead of writing any more, I'll just post the contents of the Readme file I've already written. Let me know if it doesn't make sense.

Code: Select all

Description
===========
MySettings allows you to create shortcuts to start the Runes of Magic client with different settings. 
For instance you could create different links that start the game on the EU region and another for
 the AUS region.
You could then use these links with the "login" script or the loginNextChar restart options to run
 different regions at the same time.
You can also create a shortcut that starts the game with low quality settings and another for high.
Or a combination of both.

How It Works
============
When set up, double clicking a link will copy setting files it finds in a sub folder to the game
 folder and then start the game.

Included files
==============
MySettings     - The folder where all the MySettings files are stored.
shortcut.wsf   - A script for creating shortcuts used by the batch files.
Make Links.bat - A batch file that can automatically create the shortcuts to your subfolders.
starter.bat    - The batch file that your new links will point to. The links also send an argument
                  telling the script which settings to use.

Automatically Created Files
===========================
After you set up sub folders with your settings, "Make Links.bat" will create a link for each sub
 folder. The link will point to the starter.bat file and include the sub folder name as an argument.
When you use a link, it will create a link to your client with the NoCheckVersion which it uses to
 start the game called "StartClientLink.lnk".

Instructions
============
1. Put the "Mysettings" folder into the games directory, eg. "Runes of Magic/MySettings".
2. Set up the game the way you want then copy the settings files you want to restore when using
    the link, to a sub folder of MySettings. Eg. "MySettings/EU/". Repeat for each set of settings
    you want to use.
   2.1 To have the link start a particular region copy the "update.inf" file to the sub folder.
   2.2 To have the link restore the game settings, such as graphics quality and window size,
        copy the "client.config.ini" file to the sub folder. Note: to set the window size, edit
        the file manually and change the settings at the top of the file.
3. After you have set up your subfolders (or when you make any changes) run "Make Links.bat" which
    will create a link for each set of settings. These are the links you will use to start the game.
4. Copy or move these links anywhere convenient. If you are going to use the links with the "login"
    or "LoginNextChar" restart options then copy them to the "rom" folder and use instead of the
    client links.
  • Please consider making a small donation to me to support my continued contributions to the bot and this forum. Thank you. Donate
  • I check all posts before reading PMs. So if you want a fast reply, don't PM me but post a topic instead. PM me for private or personal topics only.
  • How to: copy and paste in micromacro

ZZZZZ

Re: Rock5's MySettings scripts

#2 Post by ZZZZZ » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:08 pm

Well that'll be a neat alternative to my solution lol.

Code: Select all

function getServerLink(server)
	if server == nil then
		server = CurrentLoginServer
	end

if ServerLinkList and ServerLinkList[server] then
		if server == "Server1" then
			os.execute("START F:/Users/User/Documents/VB_Batch_Files/Server1Region.vbs")
		elseif server == "Server2" then
			os.execute("START F:/Users/User/Documents/VB_Batch_Files/Server2Region.vbs")
		end
		return ServerLinkList[server]
	else
		return current_client_lnk_in_use
	end
end
I just made a VB file to switch around the update.ini files xD

rock5

#3 Post by rock5 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:38 am

That should work too.

There are a lot of ways it could be done. I originally thought about creating self extracting archives that extracted the needed files then ran the client. Or just using zipped files to hold the files and a bat to extract them.

But I decided on folders as they are the easiest to maintain for the average low skill user. My priority has been ease of use.

I've come up with a solution that doesn't require any editing of any files. They don't even need to create any shortcuts, the script does it for them. They just create the sub folders and put the files they want to use in there and run "Make Links.bat" to make the iinks and they are good to go.

They can then use the links manually or with the bot.

On a side note: I'm quite happy with my shortcut script. I couldn't find any solutions online that allowed relative paths to be used. So I modified a version I found to handle relative paths. It was relatively simple, all the tools were there so I don't know why no one has done it before. It seems obvious to me that a script for creating shortcuts should support relative paths because it wont know where it's running from.
  • Please consider making a small donation to me to support my continued contributions to the bot and this forum. Thank you. Donate
  • I check all posts before reading PMs. So if you want a fast reply, don't PM me but post a topic instead. PM me for private or personal topics only.

rock5

#4 Post by rock5 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:47 am

I recently discovered that the version info is stored in the update.inf file too. So when it replaces the new update.inf file with the old one it causes the game to start downloading the patch again. Which means the update.inf files would have to be updated after every patch.

I've created another solution that edits the existing update.inf file so it should still work after a patch.

For now, this version just deals with regions. It doesn't deal with the other options I talked about such as quality settings and window sizes. I might still add them later but the main functionality I wanted to add was the region changing.

How it works:
  • - Extract and add the folder to your game directory.
    - Run the "Create Links" batch file to help you create the links. This basically just creates a link to the "starter.bat" file with the region code as an argument (and makes it use the game icon).
    - When you use the link it runs the starter.bat file which edits the update.inf file then launches the client.
Attachments
StartRoMByRegion.zip
(136.63 KiB) Downloaded 123 times