limit frame rates in any games (Dxtory)

Runes of Magic/Radiant Arcana (http://www.runesofmagic.com)
rock5

limit frame rates in any games (Dxtory)

#1 Post by rock5 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:02 pm

Dxtory
http://exkode.com/dxtory-features-en.html

Came across this neat program today. It's a game video capturing tool but can be used to limit the frame rate of any game to reduce cpu usage.

To use it, start it before starting the game. It's trial-ware so you have to wait 10s when you start it. At this point I don't know if the trial ends or it's ongoing and I don't know what limitations, if any, the trial version has. I haven't messed around with any of the other options.

When you start the game it detects it and creates a profile for it - if it doesn't already exist - so you can change settings for different programs.

Then you select the advanced tab and check the "Limit Video FPS" checkbox and set the value and you're done.

As an example, with the RoM client the active window RoM takes about 30% of my cpu. If I set it to a very reasonable 20 fps it goes down to about 7%.

If anyone does some testing, feel free to share your findings here.

Also if anyone knows of any other options for limiting the frame rate, let us know.
  • Please consider making a small donation to me to support my continued contributions to the bot and this forum. Thank you. Donate
  • I check all posts before reading PMs. So if you want a fast reply, don't PM me but post a topic instead. PM me for private or personal topics only.
  • How to: copy and paste in micromacro

buchaneer

Re: limit frame rates in any games (Dxtory)

#2 Post by buchaneer » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:50 am

Just testing it now.

Set to 20fps and ingame video on Normal my cpu has dropped from between 25 - 33% to 7 - 15%. With my character stopped it hovers around 6%
:Screen minimized = 5 - 12% with character moving and stopped = 5%.

Its worth noting; I have a lot of other Windows processes also running in background as default (not sure how I can stop those without terminating the computer). :P
Tradition and Dogma are the killers of Innovation. challenge them and change them!

rock5

#3 Post by rock5 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:05 am

I've found a few other solutions. The main other one I've found is Bandicam but I just noticed today that it only limits 1 window at a time. So if you are running multiple clients it will only limit the last client. Dxtory limits all clients so it's still a better choice.

Note: if you are botting and your clients are minimized or in the background, the game already limits the fps to 20. So Dxtory is really only useful if you want to limit the fps while you are playing or you want to limit the fps to less than 20 while botting.
  • Please consider making a small donation to me to support my continued contributions to the bot and this forum. Thank you. Donate
  • I check all posts before reading PMs. So if you want a fast reply, don't PM me but post a topic instead. PM me for private or personal topics only.
  • How to: copy and paste in micromacro

buchaneer

#4 Post by buchaneer » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:07 am

Still very useful for those with 2 or more screens that want to monitor gm intervention and having 2 or more windows maximized while botting.
Tradition and Dogma are the killers of Innovation. challenge them and change them!