MemClean userfunction

Additional botting resources. Addons may be either for the game itself or for the RoM bot.
Forum rules
Only post additional bot resources here. Please do not ask unrelated questions.
botje

MemClean userfunction

#1 Post by botje » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:23 am

this user function runs a ramcleaner, to try and get rom to freak out less :P

its still in testing, because i dont know yet if it really makes a difference, but hee... its worth a try ^^

personally i call it in profile onload.

Code: Select all

MemClean();
place the program in the rombot folder, and the userfunction, well... in userfunctions xd

it runs the program, and stops it after 50 secs, which should be enough for most computers to get it to do his thing.

let me know if any bugs or just to say it works :P
userfunction_MemClean.zip
(310.77 KiB) Downloaded 199 times

Jandrana

Re: MemClean userfunction

#2 Post by Jandrana » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:49 am

1.)
You added the binary of RamRush into the Zip. I'm always VERY cautious downloading binaries from the web. It would be better to refer to the original distributor of this tool. -> http://www.fcleaner.com/ramrush.htm

2.)
If you read through the description of this tool, it reads like a "miracle computer doctor":
Increase system performance, Increase the amount of memory available, Defragment system physical memory, Recover memory from Windows applications, Remove memory leaks
. Some of the features are simply impossible, like "remove memory leaks" - a memory leak is caused by a bug in a specific program. No other program can "remove or fix" such a memory leak. This can only be done by the developer of the program by fixing this bug. An external program cannot do this because it does not know at which point in time the memory it no longer used, so it can be freed.

The same applies to other "features" - some things like "defragment physical memory" are pretty useless and can hardly be done by such a tool. To do things like this you must modify the CPUs page table, which requires RING 0 privileges (device driver that must be signed by Microsoft). You must pay a decent sum to MS to get this signature and your program must conform to various tests done my MS.

If you think this tool may help you, I would also suggest some other things, like: decorate your flat according to feng shui and let the Qi energy flow into your computer or something similar. This surely has a similar effect.

lisa

#3 Post by lisa » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:41 am

Jandrana wrote:If you think this tool may help you, I would also suggest some other things, like: decorate your flat according to feng shui and let the Qi energy flow into your computer or something similar. This surely has a similar effect.
I use a programme called Cleanmem and using it allows me to load more clients than I could without it before all the clients crashing. Might be snake oil but it works for me ;)
Remember no matter you do in life to always have a little fun while you are at it ;)

wiki here http://www.solarstrike.net/wiki/index.php?title=Manual

Jandrana

#4 Post by Jandrana » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:47 am

Of course these tools "do something".

They can enable the "large address aware" dynamically which allows to use more than 2GB memory on 64 bit windows that have enough physcial ram.
But this can be dangerous, if the app does pointer arithmetic and the wrong data types were used during compilation.

Most likely they tweak settings in the registry. You can adjust the size of the file cache to get more memory for apps. You can adjust a ton of things there. But usually there is a reason, that Microsoft did choose a certain default for these system settings. If you change such values you should know what you are doing. I'd like to know what's going on here.

There is a strange effect, that with older computers (less than 2GB physical ram) RoM crashes less frequently. My assumption is, that RoM detects that less ram is available and "behaves" differently (loads less textures, uses smaller textures - who knows). So some of the tools may do something similar, which can reduce the number of crashes.

But most of the stuff being advertised is not going to happen. A renown German computer magazine did test a couple of such tools and for most apps there was no effect, a few apps did gain a hardly measurable performance boost (1-2%), and some did crash after installing such tools.

If such a tool does not tell me on a technical understandable level how it works I will not use it. Its like religion: it may help you if you believe in it. I do not.

lisa

#5 Post by lisa » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:14 am

we talk about cleanmem in this topic, it was over a year ago but still true to this day.
http://www.solarstrike.net/phpBB3/viewt ... 269#p34269

Jandrana you have had your say, let's leave it at that shall we.
People have different opinions about many things and that is fine but this is botje's topic about something he finds works well for him and he wanted to share it with others.

Thanks botje
Remember no matter you do in life to always have a little fun while you are at it ;)

Jandrana

#6 Post by Jandrana » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:37 am

Just one last thing: It seems cleanmem (maybe also ramrush) are simply calling EmptyWorkingSet for all processes from time to time.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... s.85).aspx

It should be easy to make this a direct call from the bot, because the bot already has the PID of the client. No other fancy tools required.

B.t.w - Windows does this automatically, when you minimize a window.

botje

#7 Post by botje » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:14 pm

sheesh, i didnt ask you to come here and download it now did i?

seems to work fine on my end, thats all i care for :P

Romplayer

#8 Post by Romplayer » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:19 am

I've noticed that... to get RoM to use less resources, i.e. lower processor usage you must click taskmanager over the RoM window and then it immediately lowers processor usage by 50% or so. --> then click the minimize button on RoM with the taskmanager still over it.

Minimizing the RoM window without this process only seems to lower usage by 5% at most.

I have 2 windows of RoM open each using 7-9% of the processor. Versus about 17-30% per window

botje

#9 Post by botje » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:58 am

but this is not or the cpu usage, this is to keep the ram compsumption in check xd

Cindy

#10 Post by Cindy » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:14 am

For what its worth Jandrana, I appreciate your effort. You could have just kept quiet, and leave us all in the dark , some more darker than others lol.

The reaction of others is normal as well, appreciate the opinions, appreciate the heads up of "hype" from Jandrana.

lisa

#11 Post by lisa » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:13 pm

Cindy wrote:For what its worth Jandrana, I appreciate your effort. You could have just kept quiet, and leave us all in the dark , some more darker than others lol.

The reaction of others is normal as well, appreciate the opinions, appreciate the heads up of "hype" from Jandrana.
better off just leaving the subject alone, like I said.
lisa wrote:Jandrana you have had your say, let's leave it at that shall we.
Have a read of that link I posted earlier and you might realise why I said that.
http://www.solarstrike.net/phpBB3/viewt ... 269#p34269