Possible to make mouse coordinates relative to window?

Discuss, ask for help, share ideas, give suggestions, read tutorials, and tell us about bugs you have found with MicroMacro in here.

Do not post RoM-Bot stuff here. There is a subforum for that.
Forum rules
This is a sub-forum for things specific to MicroMacro.

This is not the place to ask questions about the RoM bot, which uses MicroMacro. There is a difference.
Sgraffite

Possible to make mouse coordinates relative to window?

#1 Post by Sgraffite » Thu May 14, 2009 8:35 pm

Is there a way to make mouse coordinates relative to the game window, so 0,0 would be the top left corner of the game window? AutoIt had a mode that was relative to the window in focus like that, and that what I found most useful.

I know I could calculate roughly where I want the mouse to be, but when the operating system is running resolutions of different aspect ratios it gets goofy.

Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Possible to make mouse coordinates relative to window?

#2 Post by Administrator » Thu May 14, 2009 9:27 pm

Yes, there is. Through simple math, too.

First, we need to get the position of the window. This is the position of the client region (the actual usable part of the window; does not include title bar and such) as is offset from your screen.

Code: Select all

local win = findWindow("MyWindow");
local wx,wy = windowRect(win);
We will need to update wx and wy each frame. Keep this in mind. This is so that if you move the window, it won't be using old position values and throwing your mouse off.

Now, we can use setMouse() to position the mouse at 0,0 in the client region of our specific window.

setMouse(wx + 0, wy + 0);
Notice I am adding 0, but it doesn't really do anything. It is not necessary since we're going to 0,0, but if we wanted, say, 10, 20, we can replace the 0s with 10 and 20.

In reverse, we can get the position of the mouse inside our window as well.

local mx,my = mouseGetPos();
mx = wx - mx;
my = wy - my;

-- mx and my are now the position of the mouse inside our window.
If we just want to use the 'on top' window at all times, we can use foregroundWindow().

local wx,wy = windowRect(foregroundWindow());
mouseSet(wx + 10, wy + 20); -- forcefully set to 10,20 in the window that's on top

Sgraffite

Re: Possible to make mouse coordinates relative to window?

#3 Post by Sgraffite » Thu May 14, 2009 9:56 pm

Awesome, ty!