Protection against IP ban

Runes of Magic/Radiant Arcana (http://www.runesofmagic.com)
Dirt Devil

Protection against IP ban

#1 Post by Dirt Devil » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:19 am

I had with Ego95 about this topic a conversation. Once you Bottet and only one account is caught, you have the problem of IP bans. Of course, the GM detection against this problem, but i think thats maybe sometime not enough. I myself use for anonymous surfing in the Internet the TOR browser. TOR is an open source program that hides the connection using a proxy server. Thus, each client would have his own IP, and the danger to get banned with the main account falls. I have already seen bots that use TOR to work with multiple clients. (Not ROM)

This is just an idea. I myself can not implement this, but maybe someone is interested in this line of thought.

Sorry for my terrible English. I mainly use google to translate.
regards, devil.
~~> I am looking for German players. Together we are stronger. Send me a PM / Icq.
~~> Ich suche Mitspieler, gemeinsam ist man stärker! Sende mir eine PN oder eine Nachricht in ICQ.

powerattack

Re: Protection against IP ban

#2 Post by powerattack » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:24 pm

Not sure this would help, maby you can run something like hotspotshield on your pc but tor usually comes hand in hand with lag. Lots of people use this with multible clients, so might not be intrested.

Could give it a try tough.

Administrator
Site Admin

#3 Post by Administrator » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:06 pm

I would imagine that Tor would be near unusable. As stated, the lag and connection stability would cause problems. You could use just about any kind of proxy you want, though.

If RoM doesn't allow you to connect through proxy, you could also run the game inside a VM and force the VM's connection through a proxy. I've never done this myself, but I know others have. It ensures that there's no way around a connection being forced through the proxy.

BlubBlab

#4 Post by BlubBlab » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:58 pm

Yeah I think I tried that in the past to, the problems is that ROM doesn't support a proxy.
I remember I experimented with some strange software which could/should make a invisible proxy but it didn't work.

I think for a long time that the goldseller use VM's with a router which can mac spoofing.
Most in germany can change their IP on fly what you don't can is change your mac-addresse or if exist your client-ID.

and if it only the IP adress which they use is it can very easy happens that you forgot to change your IP.
I know from hearing in the past that through ac sharing both ac will be banned if one of them is caught.(in this case buying from goldseller). So I know they save at least the IP's and cross reference them.
Jack-of-all-trades, but master-of-only of a few :D

My Reps:
https://github.com/BlubBlab/Micromacro-with-OpenCV (My version of MM2 with OpenCV and for MS Visual Studio)
https://github.com/BlubBlab/rom-bot (rombot with no stop WP and advanced human emulation mode and some other extensions)
https://github.com/BlubBlab/Micromacro-2-Bot-Framework ( A work in progress )
My Tools : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6226

Dirt Devil

#5 Post by Dirt Devil » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:26 pm

@BlubBlab - I think the MAC Address is not important. This is unique but is not used normally, according to my knowledge. In addition, your PC a MAC Address and your router has a MAC Address .. I can not explain this in english. :|

@Admin
It may be that TOR slows down the ROM client too much. That would be just the problem of the random connections to proxies. If I, as a European, get an Asian proxy than i am sure that it is unplayable.
I've done a little research. And I came across VPN. It should serve the purpose and still be fast. VM's are also a good idea. However, I do not know how much computer power them need. I'll try both until the weekend, and then tell you about my experiences with it.
~~> I am looking for German players. Together we are stronger. Send me a PM / Icq.
~~> Ich suche Mitspieler, gemeinsam ist man stärker! Sende mir eine PN oder eine Nachricht in ICQ.

Administrator
Site Admin

#6 Post by Administrator » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:41 pm

The problem with a VPN is that you're likely to only get 1 IP. In that case, a ban would potentially still threaten all of your accounts.

powerattack

#7 Post by powerattack » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:02 am

Administrator wrote:The problem with a VPN is that you're likely to only get 1 IP. In that case, a ban would potentially still threaten all of your accounts.
When I played Conquer online I used to bot without a proxy for lagless 20+chars ;),
But if I wanted to log my main I close all bots and used a proxy this way they have diff ips.

MaryGt

#8 Post by MaryGt » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:07 am

Hi! And what about proxies?
I have heard that using proxy can perform anonymous web surfing.

Administrator
Site Admin

#9 Post by Administrator » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:47 am

Yes, typically proxies are for web anonymizing. You'll want a VPS for anything more than that. You can often find them for about $20/month in Europe; I wouldn't bother even looking in the US because of the ridiculous prices.

dx876234

#10 Post by dx876234 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:01 am

Bans in ROM is always based on mac address, ie when u bot they will ban all accounts which have logged on your mac address at some time or another. But, normally the MAC isnt blocked, ie you can create a new account from the machine.

As mentioned by others, IP addresses can change frequently and quite some users can be behind one public address (ISP who use IPv6 and have NAT into IPv4 universe, ISP's in general, businesses, schools..+++)

But, they have option to IP block as well, either simple addresses or blocks (Like whole countries)

Regards
DX

PS. They also check your graphics card, vendor and card ID's to verify the uniqueness of your PC.

BlubBlab

#11 Post by BlubBlab » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:16 pm

I know, Perfect World does it also they use your mac-address as a secondary security token.(replace the sec PW in ROM).

Theoretically I'm able to write a program for spoof my mac-address on pc and router now but I haven't any use for it at the moment.

What I'm more interested is how to read out the mac-address online via server. I know a c++ snippet which can do this but what I want is basically a webpage which show the mac- address(es) which have been found, similar like all those how is my IP pages in the Internet.
Jack-of-all-trades, but master-of-only of a few :D

My Reps:
https://github.com/BlubBlab/Micromacro-with-OpenCV (My version of MM2 with OpenCV and for MS Visual Studio)
https://github.com/BlubBlab/rom-bot (rombot with no stop WP and advanced human emulation mode and some other extensions)
https://github.com/BlubBlab/Micromacro-2-Bot-Framework ( A work in progress )
My Tools : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6226

dx876234

#12 Post by dx876234 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:55 am

That is not possible, the MAC address is only visible on the local LAN (eq. do a "arp -a" cmd), once the IP packet leaves your local LAN through a router the packet will adopt the latest routers MAC address (assuming an ethernet packet). IE its a LAN addressing mechanism mapping IP addresses to MAC addresses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address

So, the client uses something like your c++ code to read out the mac address, the video cards manufacturer and type and send this over to the server as a part of the login sequence, ie it associates your account and mac/graphics vendor, graphics id in an attempt to uniquely identify you as a player+computer.

Also, if you use a VPN for protection this may or may not protect you against multi account bans. This depends on wether your VPN actually adds a virtual MAC address (or other link address) and if the client pics up the current network adapters MAC address or any other random ones (like the 1st in list) as the GetAdaptersInfo returns a list of all adapters. (ipconfig /all)

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... 85%29.aspx

-dx

sauhard

#13 Post by sauhard » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:16 am

There are various free good vpn's out there if you wanna hide ip. Most cracks can found on google of premium vpn's.
Satisfaction is the end of desire!!

dx876234

#14 Post by dx876234 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:35 am

But again, hiding IP doesnt do much for the ROM client unless your in a blocked IP range.
You need to make sure it also hides your MAC address, preferably the video card IDs as well.

-dx

jessicaxxo

#15 Post by jessicaxxo » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:43 am

Don't think rom peeps go beyond ip ban and that too rarely.