Happy New Year!

Talk about anything in Runes of Magic. This does not need to pertain to botting.
Ego95

Happy New Year!

#1 Post by Ego95 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:07 pm

Happy New Year from Germany!
Keep on botting guys :D

grande

Re: Happy New Year!

#2 Post by grande » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:24 am

Happy New Year! I've learned so much in these forums and look forward to learning more. Onward to 2013~!!

lisa

#3 Post by lisa » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:35 am

Yup happy new year, I am thinking I might get into game creation this year.

Looking at a programme called "Silo 2" at the moment (available on Steam), the youtube tutorials look impresive but the forum for the programme kinda sux.
Seems there haven't been any updates for the programme in 2 years.

Might keep on browsing to see if there is anything better.

In 2 minds really, 1 is gaming and the other is story telling. I like the idea of 3d modelling for stories though as opposed to drawing every single frame, I am thinking can make up a 3d model and move it around for each frame as needed.

So either way I will probably look at getting a 3d modeling programme.
Remember no matter you do in life to always have a little fun while you are at it ;)

wiki here http://www.solarstrike.net/wiki/index.php?title=Manual

rock5

#4 Post by rock5 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:52 am

3D modelling is only one aspect of game creation. For a game to be good you need experts in all fields of game creation.

Some of the fields required for game creation are:
- Programming
- 3D modeling
- Content creation
- Artistic design
- Story development
etc.

That's why I like the idea of game creation, there is something in it for everyone. It's good you're interested in 3D modelling. Personally, I'd go for programming. I only wish I was good enough to develop games.
  • Please consider making a small donation to me to support my continued contributions to the bot and this forum. Thank you. Donate
  • I check all posts before reading PMs. So if you want a fast reply, don't PM me but post a topic instead. PM me for private or personal topics only.
  • How to: copy and paste in micromacro

Ego95

#5 Post by Ego95 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:48 am

I only wish I was good enough to develop games.
Rock, personally I think you are ;)

lisa

#6 Post by lisa » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:05 am

I have no dreams of creating something as big as RoM, I am thinking very very small to start off with ;)
Remember no matter you do in life to always have a little fun while you are at it ;)

lisa

#7 Post by lisa » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:37 pm

rock5 wrote:Personally, I'd go for programming. I only wish I was good enough to develop games.
Admin put me onto a programme/platform thingy a while ago called love.
https://love2d.org/
It is in lua so should be easier to start on as opposed to learning C++ first and then start trying to make a game.

I can't remember exactly why I stopped with working on it, may have been because you need love to be able to play the games and I was looking at making it stand alone or it may have been just that I didn't have the time for the project.

Administrator
Site Admin

#8 Post by Administrator » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:09 pm

Making a game is much harder than it seems. I've made a few, but nothing that I was ever very proud of. It takes many months of constant work to even have something that is barely playable. Few people have that kind of patience.

Although, I know that some of the code I've written has been used in a number of indie games. Guess that's worth something, right?

lisa

#9 Post by lisa » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:51 pm

I think my main focus to start would be on educational games, mainly for my 5 y/o. So things like addition, counting, shapes, differences, sizes, all that sort of thing which would be simple enough to do for web based, either html or flash.

I guess I just want to start on a standalone as opposed to relying on browser or love or anything else like that, I dabbled in VB studio (I think) many many many years ago and making my own little tracking programme (cash flow), I should probably start with something like that, means learning a new language or relearning as the case may be.

grande

#10 Post by grande » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:17 am

rock5 wrote: Some of the fields required for game creation are:
- Programming
- 3D modeling
- Content creation
- Artistic design
- Story development
etc.
That's why organizations put out the big games. Making a game as compelling to play as WoW, RoM, DAoC, etc requires us to get rid of that nasty "I" word. Don't underestimate the power of the heads in this forum. "I" think this group could make a convincing game but... would take a lot of discussion. First MMO built completely online? Oh yes... lol. But what sort of baseline do we set? I think complete automation of the mundane tasks is a good start. Some sort of roots in mythology/magic/stealth/rogues/wizards/etc is essential. Character development.

Taking from previous attractors (WoW, ROM, DAoC, GW, etc) is important but I look at it like I look at underground music. The next big thing will be something that folks can still dance to but is shockingly new at the same time. Just has to be that way to make a mark.

lisa

#11 Post by lisa » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:41 pm

I did some browsing and apparently you can now get visual studio free yay, "express". Not sure on the difference but I am going to give it a go and make up some little funny type executibles, probably mainly in lua since I know that more than C++ and it can be "included" into it easy enough, according to the webbies I have been reading today.

rock5

#12 Post by rock5 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:34 am

A long time ago I played with Visual Basic, I'm not sure what version. I liked the idea that you could create a frame or form visually and then add code the the controls you added. I liked the logic of that. I never did anything graphical though. I don't know how you would do that but I guess the product has probably come a long way since then.
  • Please consider making a small donation to me to support my continued contributions to the bot and this forum. Thank you. Donate
  • I check all posts before reading PMs. So if you want a fast reply, don't PM me but post a topic instead. PM me for private or personal topics only.
  • How to: copy and paste in micromacro

lisa

#13 Post by lisa » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:20 am

Well the VB Express seems almost identical to the version I used about 10 years ago, maybe a little prettier with menus and such but the feel of it is exactly the same.
I tried to find my old projects I was working on but it turns out the HDD that had those is now dead, just makes funny noises =(

So basically I will be starting from scratch again, I like to learn from examples, even if the examples were my own work from 10 years ago lol

I'll do some browsing and no doubt find what I need without to much effort, so much more on the net now days, I had to read a 2000 page book 10 years ago in order to do what I wanted.

Jandrana

#14 Post by Jandrana » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:06 am

Already bit late, but also a "Happy new year!"

I also tried to program some games a long time ago on the C-64.

I finished a playable version of "Risk" - but without AI. The computer was mainly the manager for the playfield.
One of the greatest challenges these days was to display a "world map". I manually digitalized the world map,
and had to convert the bitmap into DATA instructions for BASIC - LOL.

Then I liked to copy an arcade game with a copter flying through a dungeon, where you had to shoot
enemies and dodge incoming missiles etc. I partly finished it: I had a simple copter that I could fly
through the dungeon. But creating the enemies and animate all the stuff became too much work.
All this was written in 6502 assembler code.

Then the games industry started to create copy protection for the C-64 and other popular gaming
home computers and I focused on removing the copy protection for these games, so I could copy them
for my friends ;-)

lisa

#15 Post by lisa » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:18 am

I remember when the cassette tape drive first came out for the C-64 and it was like awesomesauce, then the floppy drive came later.
I remember writing up my own version of the dark forest way back when, purely text game where you are asked questions and get dealt consequences from your answers, ahh those were the days lol

Ego95

#16 Post by Ego95 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:17 pm

Hehe, I'm using my thread of last year, to wish everyone a happy and healthy new year 2014 :)

vale46

#17 Post by vale46 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:40 pm

Happy new Year from Germany,

Greets
Vale